Steam and P4G
Configure Steam and ensure the P4G installation is unmodded.
- Open Steam and go to your game Library.
- Select Persona 4 Golden from your list of games.
- Right-click the game and select Properties.
P4G on Steam is getting an update any day now (likely January 2023) with performance improvements and new language support as part of the broader console and PC Game Pass release.
If Steam automatically downloads this update, the mods in this pack will stop working until their creators can update them. To avoid any nasty surprises, we're going to disable automatic updates for P4G.
- In the Properties window, select the Updates tab.
- Set Automatic Updates to Only update this game when I launch it.
Wait a second, how will this help me if the game updates? Steam is just going to update P4G as soon as I launch it!
Steam will only try to update P4G if it is launched directly through Steam. You're going to be launching the game through one of your modding tools: Reloaded II or Aemulus.
This way, even if we get a surprise update that breaks mod compatibility, you'll still be able to play without updating.
P4G CEP is only compatible with the English-text version of the game. If you are playing with another text language, you will need to change the game's Language setting in Steam.
- In the Properties window, select the Language tab.
- Set Select the language you wish to play this game in to English.
P4G CEP is only compatible with the latest unmodified version of the game.
To save a lot of time later, let's take a little time now to make sure you have the latest version of P4G and that it's not modified in any way.
You may have joined a hotfix beta distributed by Atlus before the release of P4G v1.1. Beta versions aren't compatible with P4G CEP, so we'll make sure you're on the stable release.
- In the Properties window, select the Betas tab.
- Set Select the beta you would like to opt into to None.
This command will compare your installed P4G files to the versions on Steam's servers. If Steam detects any changes, it will redownload the original files.
- In the Properties window, select the Local Files tab.
- Click Verify integrity of game files...
- The Verify button will disappear and be replaced with a progress counter. Wait for it to finish.
You'll see one of two messages:
All files successfully validated
X files failed to validate...
You're all set! Move onto the next step.
Some of your files were missing or modified.
- Wait for Steam to finish downloading the original files before continuing.
P4G.exe is the name of the Persona 4 Golden executable program. When it comes to modding, It's important to know where P4G.exe is located on your computer.
- Staying in the Local Files tab of the Properties window, click Browse... to open your Persona 4 Golden game folder in Windows Explorer.
- Make sure there is an executable file named P4G.exe in this folder.
- Click the address bar at the top of the window to see the full folder path. It's okay if it's different from the one in this picture.
- Remember this folder path, as you will need it later.
The P4G mod loader and the Special K software are incompatible, and the game is likely to crash if you try to use them together. You'll need to remove Special K's injection file in order to play P4G with mods.
- In your Persona 4 Golden folder, locate the file dxgi.dll.
- Move (not Copy) dxgi.dll to your P4G Mods\Backups\Special K folder.
- Launch P4G and make sure Special K is not running.
- The Special K launch message should not appear anymore.
- The command to open the Special K configuration menu (Ctrl + Shift + Backspace) should not do anything.