Steam and P4G
Configure Steam and verify your P4G installation is unmodified.
Before we set up mods for the game, we're going to configure a few settings in Steam to make sure you have the best experience.
- Open Steam and go to your game Library.
- Select Persona 4 Golden from your list of games.
Will there be a P5R CEP? Good question.
- Right-click the game and select Properties.
Updates to games can make mods stop working until their creators can update them for the new version. By disabling automatic updates, you'll be able to keep playing P4G with mods if it ever gets a surprise update.
- In the Properties window, select the Updates tab.
- Set Automatic Updates to Only update this game when I launch it.
Wait a second, how will this help me if the game updates? Steam is just going to update P4G as soon as I launch it!
Steam will only try to update P4G if it is launched directly through Steam. You're going to be launching the game through the Reloaded II mod manager instead.
This way, even if we get a surprise update that breaks mod compatibility, you'll still be able to play without updating.
This setting only changes the language of the game's text, not the character voices.
P4G CEP is compatible with both English and Japanese character voices.
P4G CEP is only compatible with the English-text version of the game. If you are playing with another text language, you will need to change the game's Language setting in Steam.
- In the Properties window, select the Language tab.
- Set Select the language you wish to play this game in to English.
P4G CEP is only compatible with the latest unmodified version of the game.
To save a lot of time later, let's take a little time now to make sure you have the latest version of P4G and that it's not modified in any way.
P4G CEP is not compatible with the old 32-bit version of P4G. These steps will permanently upgrade your game to the latest 64-bit version.
This command will compare your installed P4G files to the versions on Steam's servers. If Steam detects any differences between the files, it will re-download them so they match up.
- In the Properties window, select the Local Files tab.
- Click Verify integrity of game files...
- The Verify button will disappear and be replaced with a progress counter. Wait for it to finish.
You'll see one of two messages:
All ___ files successfully validated
___ files failed to validate...
It's okay if you see a different number here.
- You're all set! Move onto the next step.
Some of your game files were missing or modified. Steam will begin re-downloading these files to repair your installation.
- Wait for Steam to finish the repair process before continuing.
You can track the repair process in Steam's download manager, the same way you would with a game installation or update:
P4G.exe is the name of the Persona 4 Golden executable program. When it comes to modding, It's important to know where P4G.exe is located on your computer.
- Staying in the Local Files tab of the Properties window, click Browse... to open your Persona 4 Golden game folder in Windows Explorer.
- Make sure there is an executable file named P4G.exe in this folder (the yellow square with the protagonist's dreamy face on it).
It's okay if you don't have an EXTRAS folder. The EXTRAS folder contains the Digital Deluxe Edition soundtrack and art book.
- Click the address bar at the top of the window to see the full folder path. It's okay if your folder path is different from the one in this picture.
- Remember your folder path, as you will need it later.
If you're worried about forgetting the folder path, copy it and save it to a text file in your P4G Mods\Notes folder.
If you played P4G with mods before the 64-bit update, you may still have leftover mod files in your Persona 4 Golden folder.
These legacy mods will not work with the 64-bit version of P4G, so we'll delete them now.
- If there is a folder in your Persona 4 Golden folder named mods, delete it.
- If there is a file in your Persona 4 Golden folder named data00007.pac, delete it.